On the morning of the 9th of January we held a special worship in school to introduce the tercentenary. Miss Snape told the pupils about the history of Baines’ Endowed and the special year ahead.
The School Council then unveiled the newly refurbished plaques at the front of the building. We were unable to restore the top stone which came from the original site on Marton Green, now known as Oxford Square. A new plaque has been overlaid to protect the original and enable people to see the wording. The lower stone was laid in 1925 when the new school on Penrose Avenue was built, it was opened on the 4th November 1926.
Also on the 9th a commemorative stone was unveiled on the site of the original school by one of the Trustees and former Headteacher, Mrs Glenis Taylor. It was attended by the Mayor of Blackpool, local councillors, former pupils, Governors, Trustees, donors, staff from Baines’ Endowed Thornton, members of the Marton Heritage Group and members of our school community. A welcome and brief history of James Baines and the Marton area was given by Mr Philip Walsh, chair of the Marton Heritage Group. Miss Snape talked about how the school has evolved and the work it carries out now. A time capsule was buried in the ground by the school's House Captains, the contents are listed on the document below.